Saturday, November 11, 2006

The God Who Feeds Us

The God Who Feeds Us

Isaiah 55

Group Discussion. Imagine a person coming to the end of their life. What kind of life experiences would a person near the end of life most likely describe as deeply satisfying?

Love of God and personal relationship with Jesus Christ, finding the love of your life and marrying him, memories of wedding, honeymoon, great lifetime experiences, children and the love you share with them, love of parents, family and friends.

Personal Reflection. Reflect back over the past week or two. What experiences have left you feeling empty? What experiences have been deeply satisfying emotionally and spiritually?

I felt a bit empty when my husband was sick and couldn't come to an event that we planned to attend together weeks ago.I still had fun with friends at the event. It is spiritually satisfying whenever I read the Bible, do this study, read Christian books and pray.

Read Psalm 23:5

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies."

Read Isaiah 55

1. Psalm 23:5 tells us that God prepares food for us. What responses do you have to the thought of God wanting to provide you with nurture?

I'm so grateful to God for his lovingkindness towards us. We need not worry about problems or the provision of food. He knows what we need even before we ask! He gives us what we need when we ask within his will. I was reminded of Jesus saying: Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? He nurtures us in so many other ways, too.

2. Psalm 23:5 states that God feeds us in the presence of our enemies. What enemies (perhaps spiritual) are you aware of in your life?

The constant threat of Islamo-fascist terrorism. The licientiousness of the liberal left and how they want to change America from its Judeo-Christian roots and heritage into a secular-humanistic pagan culture.

3. Isaiah 55:2 asks us why we would spend money on what does not satisfy. How do your enemies tempt you with things that do not satisfy?

Enemies of the Lord do not desire to adhere to God's laws and commandments. So, the enemy of our souls attempts to lure us into the bondage of sin through temptation. It could be lusts of the flesh, wealth, greed, gluttony, theft, dishonesty, you name it! Anything that is not of God, Satan will tempt us with! But when we rely on the Lord, day by day, hour by hour and moment by moment, the devil cannot get ahold of us. In fact, the Bible says "resist him and he will flee from you!"

4. What would it be like to think of yourself eating peacefully and richly at God's banquet table, aware that God is protecting you?

I would have no fear of anything. I would know that I am His and He is mine, so I can partake of "His table" and know that I am forever protected as one of His own!

5. What does Isaiah 55 tell us about God?

What stood out most to me was:

Isa 55:8 ΒΆ For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

Isa 55:9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

This is why everything we say and do as Christians should be according to what God has said in his word; not man-made ideas. His thoughts are so far above our thoughts, that we need his word each day for guidance towards being more like His Son, Jesus Christ, and obeying His word, day by day.

6. What are we invited and instructed to do in this text?

We are invited to delight ourselves in the Lord. By following God's Word, it will not return void in our lives. The wicked and unrighteous are invited to return to the Lord. We learn that His thoughts are not our thoughts, and His ways are not our ways. This is why we need to heed and follow God's Word!

7. Describe a time when you were aware of God providing emotional or spiritual nurture to you.

I've shared this before. When I needed to speak at my Dad's funeral. Also, when I couldn't (in my own strength) convince my daughter that a certain boy in H.S. was bad news. The Lord came through when I was at my weakest moments.

8. What is the "good" that God wants to feed us (Isaiah 55:2)?

The goodness of the Lord and His Word! Don't get involved in things that don't satisfy and perish. Delight in the Lord and He will give us the desires of our heart! We don't need to substitute imperfect things. He is perfect and is what our soul needs and desires.

9. Isaiah 55:7 describes God's mercy and pardon. How is the experience of receiving God's mercy part of the experience of being fed by God?

What we need is salvation from the penalty of sin. God's mercy and pardon is afforded to us when we turn back to Him and repent! The only way to satisfy our longing souls is to be filled with God's Holy Spirit! Everything else is just so secondary!(I have a t-shirt that says, "Christ is life; everything else is just baseball.")

10. Isaiah 55:12 describes gifts of joy and peace. In your experience what is the connection between experiencing joy and peace and being nurtured by God?

Despite all the turmoil going on in the world, we know that Jesus Christ has "overcome the world." We are to "take heart" in this miracle called salvation! God's word tells us that when we belong to Him, "no one can snatch us out of His hands." Our eternal destination is secure! What a joyful hope this is! No matter what happens in this life, no matter how long I live, no matter how or when I will die, I will go to be with the Lord and dwell in His house forever! What else could I possible want or need?

11. Isaiah 55:2 God invites each of us to come to God and to experience our "soul delighting in the richest of fare." Take a minute of quiet to put yourself in this picture and to reflect on this image. What thought and feelings do you have as you reflect?

(see above)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home