Saturday, November 11, 2006

The God Who Blesses Us

Group Discussion: Give an example of what it might mean to bless someone.

I think that it is a blessing to someone when we know or find out that they are in need (food, clothing, money etc.) and we voluntarily give help to them; without expecting anything in return. It's a blessing to plant a seed of the gospel in someone's life, too. We may not know how or when such a seed may "sprout," but in the cases where we do see someone become born again in Christ, it is evidence of Christ's promises coming to fruition right before our own eyes! All we can do is plant, and God does the sowing and reaping for the kingdom!

*******

Personal Reflection: Of all the ways God has blessed you, what one or two blessings touch you the most deeply?

The prime example of blessing is seeing someone whom I have prayed for (sometimes it takes years!) finally repent and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their life! The angels celebrate when just one person repents and accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior! We should too!

My husband and children have been the greatest blessing in my life. Despite the bad and the ugly things that may have happened over the years, the good far outweighs any and that! I am truly blessed by God through my family!

1. How would you paraphrase the statement in the first part of Psalm 23:6?

Christ, who is the author of goodness and is love, is with me always!

What is your gut-level response to this verse? Do you believe it? Why or why not?

I am never alone! He is with me always! I believe it because God said it! That settles it! Although in my humanity, I often fear things, the spiritual reality is that I have nothing to fear because Christ is with me through anything and everything....the good, the bad and the ugly.

2. Read Psalm 40. What does the psalmist say God has done for him (vv.2-3)?

God had brought him up from the pit; representing his lowest point of despair, sin and evil. Bringing him up our of the "miry clay" is a way of saying that he wasn't on solid ground, but mired in sin and iniquity. God brought him up from that spiritual dead end and placed him on the Rock of salvation...the pre-incarnate "Rock" who is Jesus Christ. He is now going in the right direction in his life, because he is trusting in God rather than men or man's wisdom. Submitting to God has caused him to "sing a new song." He is no longer depending upon his own, limited and finite understanding. His praise for God will be seen by others and as a result, many of them will come to "fear" (revere) God. Seeing such transformation helps others to put their trust in God, too.

3. What is your response to the psalmist's description in verse 5 of God's bountiful blessings?

He is saying that he realizes that the blessings bestowed upon him by God are countless! He is not letting the lies of others affect his relationship with God.

Verse 4: "Blessed [is] that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies." When one trusts in the Lord, it is then that the bountiful blessings can be seen and realized.

4. In verse 4 the psalmist offers important advice. When he was waiting for God to act, he could have taken matters into his own hands. Describe a time when you took matters into your own hands. What happened?

I didn't get the idea of "taking matters into his own hands" from that verse. I got something different from it.

5. Describe a time when you waited, prayed and trusted (Psalm40:1,4). What happened?

I was involved with praying for my husband's salvation for 3 or 4 years. I added complaining about "how long" and when will God answer this prayer? His timing was perfect. It taught me a great lesson. My trust in God needs to be accompanied with patience regarding answered prayer!

6. Psalm 40:6-8 describes a significant insight the psalmist has gained. The expression "my ears have you pierce" refers to being able to hear and understand in a new way. How would you paraphrase the insight that is shared in these verse?

It was like a light bulb turned on within his mind. He was finally allowing himself to hear what the Lord was saying to him. It was a born-again moment.

7. The tone of the text turns at Psalm 40:11. What is the psalmist expressing in verses 11-17?

He was asking to be delivered from the evils of people who wanted to destroy him. He requested God's protection over his life, mind, heart and soul during the difficult times when he felt surrounded by evil men. He asked the Lord not to tarry, but to rescue him quickly. He also made sure to say, "Let the Lord be magnified;" not himself.

8. The first part of Psalm 23:6 is a statement of hope. It is a statement about the future. Psalm 40:5 also talks about the things God has planned for us. At the same time Psalm 40:12 says, "troubles without number surround me." What can you learn about prayer in times of trouble from the psalmist's model here?

Pray without ceasing! Pray with a hopeful heart. We can share our fears and troubles with God. Praying to him allows us to focus on him, rather than our problems. We can make our requests known to God and trust that he will deliver us and/or answer those prayers (if in his will for our lives) in the way that is perfect. We may not see the entire picture, but it will be made clear one day in eternity.

9. In Psalm 40:2-3, 5 the psalmist talks about his gratitude for God's endless blessings in his life. Take a few minutes to make a gratitude list, thanking God for everything that comes to mind.

I'm thankful for Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior (and God's Word), the love and commitment of my husband, love of, and for, my children, all my family members, my friends, my acquaintences, my husband's great job, our home, good health, our provisions of food, shelter, clothing, all that we have.

10. In Psalm 40:9-10 the psalmist talks about expressing his gratitude for God to others. How would you like to express your gratitude for God's blessings to others?

I always pray for safety and traveling mercies when my family is away. I'm so grateful for the fine job my husband has so we could afford to send our children to college. I'm grateful for the character of our children; especially when the temptations to do ungodly things are so strong in our culture today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home